Saturday 12 December 2015
St John’s in the City
Oil Free Wellington warmly invites you to attend our climate justice gathering; as part of Change Everything, our weekend of discussion and action.
The gathering will be a day of workshops, discussions, and speeches on the root causes of climate change and climate justice based solutions. The morning involves plenary sessions on capitalism, colonialism and the climate, as well as peoples’ solutions to climate change. The afternoon involves workshops exploring radical solutions in more depth.
Please register to attend, take a look at our safer spaces policy and read our programme below.
The weekend of Change Everything will be the weekend that climate change negotiations in Paris end. It will be more important than ever to empower our own communities to take the action needed to address climate change, and to send a strong message to the oil (and other fossil fuel) industries who are planning to expand their fossil fuel extraction that they are not welcome in Aotearoa / New Zealand.
There will also be an action happening the following day. Further details about this are on our website and facebook. This and the upcoming action are public so please tell your friends and family!
- 8:30 Registration
- 9:00 Mihi whakatau & mana whenua perspective Speaker: Mark Ormsby
- 9:30 welcome & an introduction to climate justice Speakers: Zoe Deans and Jessie Dennis (Oil Free Wellington
- 10:00 Plenary 1: Resist Capitalism, Colonialism and Climate Change. Speakers: Pala Molisa, Trish Tupou and Jean Kahui
- 11:00 Beautiful Solutions, Climate Justice Aotearoa launch Speakers: Sam Oldham and Robin Wilson-Whiting
11:15 Morning tea
- 11:30 Plenary 2: Build Real Solutions Anti-capitalism, decolonisation and the climate Speakers: Emily Bailey, Frances Mountier (Oil Free Wellington) and James Barber (Oil Free Wellington).
Afternoon Stream 1
- 1:30 A Direct Action Approach to Climate Organising Speakers: Urs Signur and Jessie Dennis (Oil Free Wellington)
- 2:30 Work, Poverty and Housing Speakers: Conor Twyford (Union Greens) and Nadia Abu-Shanab (Auckland Action Against Poverty), and Jordan King (Renters United)
Afternoon Stream 2
- 1:30 Local Radical Solutions Speakers: Arthur Price (Mechanical Tempest), Christian Williams, Julia Milne and Babs Lake (Oil Free Wellington), and local groups
- 2:30 Tino Rangatiratanga, oil claims and resistance Speaker: Catherine Murupaenga-Ikenn
Afternoon Stream 3 (Outside in Courtyard)
- 1:30 Action prep: Placard and Banner Making Host: Jerome O’Connor
- 2:30 Action prep: NVDA Practical Skills Host: Jerome O’Connor
3:30 Afternoon tea
- 4:00 Plenary 3: Action prep Debrief and prep for Day of Action
Please read the Safer Spaces guidelines before registering.
The venue is St John’s, cnr Dixon and Willis Streets, Wellington. It is an accessible venue.
We also hope you can join us for the Day of Action on Sunday 13 December
If you have any questions, please get in touch on email@example.com